Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ginko Perpetual Bonds...we'll help!!

Ok, unless you have been under a rock (even a virtual one) you would have heard about "The Ginko Disaster", for a few days you may even catch the site still up here.
We see myriad of questions about Ginko in and around WSE and Hope Capital. I try and help anyone that asks and to be honest I cannot believe, 2 months on and I still see questions like "hi, i had money in ginko, apparently its been moved here..." (to WSE) "how do I get my ginkos?" and "i reset my password but I have no balance...I had over 30000 in Ginko?? what gives?".
So I will attempt to encapsulate this scenario and shed some light on What to do now...
LukeConnell Vanderverre released this announcement shortly after the transition from Ginko to WSE. Although it does explain what has happened, it doesn't really help those with no idea.
I will add to this as discussion opens up but here is a summary:

  • Ginko experienced a "run on the bank". Similar type of thing happening right now in the UK with Northern Rock. Banks don't have all your money as "cash". That's a well known fact. So if everyone fronts up and says "I'll take it all thanks." sooner, rather than later, they will reply "I'm sorry, there isn't any left"
  • Open to debate (and believe me it has been...loudly!) is why...but to "fix" this problem, Nicholas Portocarrero (Andre Sanchez) and WSE came to an agreement that for each Linden ($L) you had deposited in Ginko, you would be issued 1 GPB (Ginko Perpetual Bond). So if you had $L1000, you now have 1000 GPB's
  • Now these bonds were floated to the open market, where you could sell them at a price someone else was willing to buy them for. Originally they were listed with a price of $L1.00, so therefore, if you sold them all, technically you would get your money back (minus the WSE sell commission of 3%)
  • Many people would have wanted their cash straight away, understandable with all the commotion! So they were willing to sell them at whatever they could get. Anyone that has ever seen the financial news will know that this causes the price to plunge!
  • From $L0.60 during the first day of trading, down to $L0.25 in a few hours, those that caught on a little later would have found that their $L1000 was now worth a measly $L250! Not pretty.
  • 2 months on and GPB is trading at $L0.09, still with large volumes, so unless you want to turn your hard earned $L1000 (most people would have had a lot more!) into $L90 (minus $L3 commission to WSE) DON'T SELL!
I wish I could see into the future and tell you that GPB will climb back to $L1.00 or above (which means you could even make a profit!) but there really isn't anything pointing to that. We can only wait and see...
I hope this helps, if you need further information, as always, you can talk to one of the friendly staff at Hope Capital (level 3, you should find a concierge or even Luke himself) or you can IM me in-game or email me.

Good luck!
Logansan Oh
- CEO, Chairman

0 comments: